Shall we start with searching the database? So, if you’re wondering what could be the nutritional values of any food, should it be a banana, mashed potatoes, or even a grilled sirloin of beef, just download ‘The CalorieFinder ‘ app or login on the web application from your desktop (coming soon).
On the homepage, click on ‘Search the database’ and type in the name of the foods that interest you to obtain detailed nutritional information of those foods; from calories, protein, carbohydrate, fat, fibre, vitamins and minerals such as folate, vitamin c, iron, zinc, etc… per 100g of the food.
You can get nutritional facts of thousands of commonly consumed foods from around the world.
Add a new ingredient
You will already find thousands of ingredients with their nutritional values on the platform. You are welcomed to use them or just add new ingredients to build the nutritional values of your recipes or meals.
To add a new ingredient, just go to the home page of the app, click on “Add a New Ingredient” and follow the steps below:
- enter the ingredient name
- then upload pictures of the product, including front of pack and back of pack labels
- enter the calories values per 100g or 100ml
- enter the nutrients values per 100g or 100ml (Please note this step can also be completed using the intelligent camera scanner on the app, compatible with most phones and labels)
- We will also ask you to provide the product’s brand if any, and a reference of the information provided such as a link and the origin of the ingredient.
You’ll be able to preview the information entered before submitting.
The information is checked and validated by our team (please allow a maximum of 12hours), before their use on the platform. All ingredients validated on the platform are made public for everyone use. Non-validated ingredients will be deleted. We intend to regularly update the ingredients on the database and maintain the accuracy of any nutritional information of ingredients.
We reserve the rights to not validate and remove any ingredient from the database without prior notice, especially ingredients with similar names or nutritional composition to the ones already on the platform.
Create a new recipe
Everyone is welcomed to have an account on the app (using the free personal account) and draft/ create recipes, alongside pictures of the meals and share these with their communities, gym buddies and friends.
To create a new recipe, log into the app and navigate to “My Recipes” which and follow the steps below:
- enter the recipe name
- you may want to enter the portion size (in grams) or number of portions from the recipe
- upload a picture of the associated recipe
- enter the recipe notes including preparation methods and time and validate
For nutritional information, just go to the next page and start searching the ingredient database, validate each selected ingredient by entering their weight, any note if needed and click the + button.
Combine your ingredients and the nutritional information shall adjust as you’re creating your recipe, depending of the serving size if any, then validate.
To modify a recipe you’ve created, click on the recipe and modify the ingredients using the “pen” sign then click to update.
Every recipe is kept private on your profile unless you decide to share the recipe, either with your community or publicly on The CalorieFinder platforms.
Sharing of recipes
There are two different levels of shared recipes.
When you create a recipe, you will be given the option to
- share the recipe with your community (you can create a community in the account tab, by inviting friends, families, colleagues, gym partners, sport team mates, etc… using the email address invite). This is particularly useful in hospitality where a group of people are working together as part of a catering team and have to follow the same recipes. Check the “Shared Recipes” tab.
- share publicly, on The CalorieFinder platforms and website; by clicking on “Share with The CalorieFinder”, you agree to make your recipe and data available to the public and everyone on the platform or by searching our website.